Thursday, January 01, 2009

CHUTES AND LADDERS

I'm having a cooking marathon in advance of my foot surgery and meditating on the ups and downs of life while I make zucchini bread, pot roast and chocolate chip cookies. I'm hoping that a foot without pain will improve my life. Maybe I'll be brave enough to have the second one done. No pity parties for me, I know too many people who are making the most of their lives with less. I went to see my friend Bev yesterday at a local health facility. I've visited her for eight years. She had a stroke and couldn't talk when I met her. Now she can make herself understood if you listen patiently. She's almost totally paralyzed, but her face is expressive and she has a wicked sense of humor. She gives an enthusiastic thumbs up and loves chocolate and ice cream. I gave her a Chippendale calendar a while back. The calendar is meaningless, but the beefcake still is hanging in her room.

So I was thinking about the children's game, Chutes and Ladders, the roll of the dice and the luck of the draw. I have a couple paintings on the table downstairs which may wind up with that title. No wise conclusions, just trying to make the most of what God has sent my way and enjoy the chutes AND the ladders.

Interestingly, I googled the term 'chutes and ladders' and went to the site of artist Rodger Roundy who has wonderful convoluted paintings and one of them is Chutes and Ladders. http://www.rodgerroundy.com/shads2_html/ChutesLadders.html

No comments: