Sunday, August 21, 2011

Psalm of Ascent, Psalm 129 and 130


Psalm 129 (A song for the ascent to Jerusalem.)
From my earliest youth my enemies have persecuted me -- let Israel now say --
2 from my earliest youth my enemies have persecuted me, but they have never been able to finish me off. 3 My back is covered with cuts, as if a farmer had plowed long furrows. 4 But the LORD is good; he has cut the cords used by the ungodly to bind me. 5 May all who hate Jerusalem be turned back in shameful defeat. 6 May they be as useless as grass on a rooftop, turning yellow when only half grown, 7 ignored by the harvester, despised by the binder. 8 And may those who pass by refuse to give them this blessing: "The LORD's blessings be upon you; we bless you in the LORD's name."

Psalm 130
(A song for the ascent to Jerusalem.)
1 Lord, I cry out to you
because I'm suffering so deeply.
2 Lord, listen to me.
Pay attention to my cry for your favor.
3 Lord, suppose you kept a record of sins.
Lord, who then wouldn't be found guilty?
4 But you forgive.
So people have respect for you.
5 With all my heart I wait for the Lord to help me.
I put my hope in his word.
6 I wait for the Lord to help me.
I wait with more longing than those on guard duty wait for the morning.
I'll say it again.
I wait with more longing than those on guard duty wait for the morning.
7 Israel, put your hope in the Lord,
because the Lord's love never fails.
He sets his people completely free.
8 He himself will set Israel
free from all of their sins.

No comments: