Friday, February 27, 2009

Giving up for Lent


STITCHED INTO LENT, V. Wieringa, Fabric, 2007

My minister published this on his Facebook page and I found it very moving.

Father,
I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what you will.
Whatever you may do, I thank you:
I am ready for all, I accept all.
Let only your will be done in me, and in all your creatures.
I wish no more than this, O Lord.


This prayer of abandonment by Charles de Foucauld echoes what my husband said when we were talking about the Lenten ritual of abstaining from something or denying yourself a particular thing. He said "For Lent I'm just giving up." I waited and then laughed when I realized that was the end of the sentence. Yes, there's an admirable Lenten discipline- I'm just giving up!

3 comments:

laurel said...

Thanks for your lovely comment on my dragonfly photo. Just finished checking out your galery and you have wonderful paintings. I'm very fond of your 6x6 tree series.

Virginia Wieringa said...

Thanks, Laurel.

Blessings each day said...

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your blog site, especially since it is now lent and so pertinent...gives me still more food for thought.

God bless you.
Marcy