Monday, December 08, 2008

The Holy star



THE HOLY STAR

As shadows cast by cloud and sun
Flit o'er the summer grass,
So, in thy sight, Almighty One,
Earth's generations pass.
And while the years, an endless host,
Come pressing swiftly on,
The brightest names that earth can boast
Just glisten and are gone.
Yet doth the Star of Bethlehem shed
A lustre pure and sweet,
And still it leads, as once it led,
To the Messiah's feet.
O Father, may that holy star
Grow every year more bright,
And send its glorious beams afar
To fill the world with light.

William Cullen Bryant 1875


I know I've posted my painting Advent Starry Night 1 before, but I found this poem on a blog (http://larin-offerings.blogspot.com/) and thought it was a great fit for this time of year.

1 comment:

larin said...

I love your star--it would be one I'd want to follow, too. I'll pass on your thanks for the poem to our school's literature teacher, who has been sending out readings for this time of year from classic literature. She'll be pleased to know it has traveled so far and touched so many. Blessings! --LaRinda